By the millions of views racking up online for “Blackhead Extractions”, it’s safe to say that no one likes having them on their face! Blackheads are not only unsightly but can cause further skin issues if left untreated. There are various ways to treat blackheads. Yet, the best measure is to prevent blackheads from forming in the beginning. This moment may not allow us to book a professional extraction service, but we can still gain knowledge and tips on treating blackheads. So, while you wait, we will be sharing our knowledge of blackheads and how to maintain clear pores at home.
What are Blackheads?
Blackheads or ‘comedones’ are small, dark bumps that form out of clogged hair follicles. When oil (or ‘sebum’) and dead skin cells become trapped in the opening of a hair follicle, the skin forms a small, dark bump called a ‘comedo’. Blackheads often affect persons with oily or acne-prone skin.
How to Prevent Blackheads
It’s always better to prevent getting blackheads than treating it. To prevent comedones from forming in the skin, you should really focus on maintaining a proper skincare routine.
In this routine, it’s important to ensure that your pores stay clean, clear and are allowed to breathe. Toners or astringents do an excellent job in dissolving oil and impurities found deep beneath the skin’s surface. In addition, astringents work to keep the pores tight, to prevent oil from being trapped in hair follicles. Our Clarifying Gel does wonders treating acne and preventing blackheads. Infused with Lactic acid and Wheat Germ Oil, this gel is a great astringent for melting away impurities, tightening the pores and giving a luminous glow. Here other ways you can prevent blackheads:
- Cleanse at least twice a day with a salicylic acid cleanser like our Exfoliating Cleanser.
- Use an alcohol-free toner like our Clarifying Gel.
- Commit to a deep exfoliation 1-2 times per week with a clean skin buff
- Use an oil-free moisturizer, like our Miracle Moisturizer, twice a day to balance the skin’s moisture and prevent increased oil production.
- Clean off your foundation as soon as you get home. By leaving on your foundation for a long period of time, you are further clogging the pores and causing blackheads and pimples to form.
How to Treat Blackheads
For treating blackheads, avoid manually extracting them yourself. By touching or picking the skin, you are not only transferring germs to the face but you might also be creating more blackheads, pimples and dark spots. And while peel-off masks may look appealing, the harshness can cause irritation and strip the skin of natural oils and hairs meant to protect the skin. Here are ways you can treat blackheads:
- Facials are a great way to get rid of and treat stubborn blackheads. Skin professionals use proper extraction methods and treatments to ensure that the skin does not experience further damage.
- Try at-home steams. By putting the face over a warm bowl of purified water, you are opening the pores and detoxing the skin.
- Use a retinol cream. Retinol creams contain Vitamin A, working to remove dead skin cells and impurities in the skin. We suggest applying our Resurfacing Creme overnight to force blackheads out of the skin.
SOMETHING SPECIAL FOR YOU…
Each week brings a new surprise. While you wait, Perfec-Tone will be offering a series of gifts and discounts on your product faves! Stay tuned to the newest offer by following our Facebook and Instagram.