How to Get Rid of Dark Circles
The saying “what’s in the dark comes to light”, has never felt so true when discussing dark circles. Whatever is happening in the body internally, often shows externally through our skin. With our lower eyelids having the thinnest layer of skin, on the face, signs of distress will cause hyperpigmentation or what we know as, “dark circles”.
What are the causes?
The causes of dark circles vary from person to person. Age, lifestyle, and genetics are just a few of the factors that can affect the reason why you may have dark circles. The good news is, treating dark circles is oftentimes easy and cost-effective. Before beginning treatment for dark circles, it is important to understand the possible causes to find the best treatment. Here are the following factors that cause dark circles:
1) Lack of sleep causes the skin to appear a lot paler than usual, this also causes a build-up of fluids making the eyes puffier.
2) Allergies often can cause dark circles. When the body has an allergic reaction, it releases histamines. Histamines may cause symptoms of eye redness, itchiness, puffiness, and dark circles.
3) Low iron often causes the skin to appear duller, and paler than usual – including the under-eyes region.
4) Dehydration is a common cause of dark circles. When the body is not getting adequate water, the skin dries out appearing duller and darker.
5) Genetics can also affect your risk of dark circles. If thinner, more delicate skin (under the eyes) runs in your family, the likelihood of having dark circles is higher.
Perfec-Tone’s Remedy for Dark Circles
In our previous article, we discussed retinol as the ultimate skin treatment found in our best-selling products. Not only does retinol clear the skin of impurities, it also aids in boosting collagen, reducing eye thinness and puffiness. By applying a dime-size amount of our Refining Creme under the eyes, you will visibly notice that dark circles will disappear in a shorter period of time.
Other Common Remedies
- Antihistamines. If you are prone to getting allergic reactions, taking an antihistamine, i.e. Claritin, can help in providing relief and reducing symptoms which cause redness, itchiness, and darkening of the eyes.
- More Iron. Eating foods or taking supplements containing iron will help to improve dark circles and skin’s overall appearance. Foods such as beef, kale, spinach, beets, and peas (i.e. chickpeas) can increase your daily intake of iron.
- Get enough rest. Ensure that you are getting your full 8-hours worth of rest each day. Not only will you feel better, but your skin will thank you!
- Vitamin C & E. These vitamins are also great for improving the skin. Whether consumed via supplement, foods, or topical oil, they will help to repair and brighten the skin’s complexion.
- Sunblock. Avoid overexposure from the sun as this can cause dark circles and other forms of skin discoloration. If you do go outside, make sure to always apply sunblock to prevent dark spots and circles.
- Gentle on the eyes. Constant, abrasive rubbing of the eyes can cause more irritation and darkening of the skin. Remember that the eye area is highly sensitive. When applying or removing makeup, cleansing or exfoliating, ensure to give your eyes some TLC.
- Stay hydrated. Make sure to drink adequate amounts of water daily.
- Drink less alcohol. Alcohol beverages contain lots of sugar which can result in body dehydration.
- Moisturize. Keep the skin moisturized with a lightweight, oil-free moisturizer like our Miracle Moisturizer.
- No Smoking. Smoking causes dehydration and also increases skin damage and signs of aging.
The One Cream For Melasma You Need
Dealing with melasma can be frustrating, but will do everything to find the best cream for melasma for your particular type so you can feel happy and confident in your skin. Look at Perfec-Tone as your skincare best friend and a support network that will help you every step of the way to the skin of your dreams.TAKE QUIZ