Spotting the Difference Between Sun Spots & Freckles
|circular, small to medium size spots (2cm)
|flat or smooth
|often tan or varying shades of brown
|tiny, circular dots or specks 5mm
|flat or smooth
|red, tan, light brown, dark brown or black (depending on skin tone)
Causes and FormationFreckles are mainly caused by genetics. Persons that experience freckles often carry the MC1R gene and other features such as fair skin or reddish hair. However, these additional features are not needed to determine whether you have freckles. You may find that people with browner shades and dark hair also have experience freckling. Freckles often appear darker in hotter seasons when sun exposure is more prominent. On the opposite side, freckles normally fade and become less apparent during winter time. Sun spots are not genetic and are mainly caused by prolonged sun exposure. Like freckles, sun spots usually darken during hotter seasons. Sun spots are also known as age spots, because of their likelihood to spread the more you age. While sun spots are more apparent on fair to tan skin shades, anyone can experience sun spots.
Treatments for Sun Spots
- Avoid going outside during the sun’s peak times (10am - 3pm). If so, ensure to cover affected areas as much as possible.
- Wear sun protection (SPF-30 or higher) whenever you are going out in the sun.
- Retinoid creams, like our Resurfacing Créme are excellent for fading sun spots and evening skin ton.
- Microdermabrasion treats are 4x more effective than exfoliating at home. Our Mini Micro is great for targeting those last minute sun marks.
- Vitamin E & C. Applying Vitamin E or C topically can also improve the appearance of sun spots as they both work against sun damage.
- Applying an enriched serum like our Revitalizing Serum every night helps with signs of aging, including sun spots.
The One Cream For Melasma You Need
Dealing with melasma can be frustrating, but will do everything to find the best cream for melasma for your particular type so you can feel happy and confident in your skin. Look at Perfec-Tone as your skincare best friend and a support network that will help you every step of the way to the skin of your dreams.TAKE QUIZ